About Me

My photo
I am a bohemian nomad, someone who acts and lives free of regard for conventional rules and practices, but also one who moves according to the seasons. After traveling to over 100 countries and all 7 continents over the past 12 years I feel that I truly subscribe to the words of Mary Poxon, who said. "I sought to see the amazing as normal and the daily as unique, and in that swirling paradox I found the joy of travel." I will be forever in pursuit of new sights and adventures and hope that maybe I can convince a few more to give budget travel a chance. Budget travel gives those with little money an opportunity to travel and those with money an opportunity to travel longer.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Iquitos, Peru {Gateway to the Amazon}

Wednesday June 6, 2007

I left Arequipa at 11:20 am to go to Iquitos, Peru to begin my Amazon adventure. I had a 4 hr. layover in Lima but still arrived in Iquitos at 7pm. I took my taxi {3 wheel motorcycle to center of town and found a hostel. My taxi stopped at a street moneychanger to let me change dollars into soles. I caught him trying to cheat me the 1st time but somehow he shortchanged me the second time. Lesson learned. The road for 3 miles to the city from the airport were covered in glass and burning trash. The taxi driver said they were having peaceful demonstrations. I hope I don't see any unpeaceful demonstrations. The taxi driver tried to double the price at the end of the ride. Due to the road conditions he said. I denied his request and just walked away. Going to sleep and will try and find an inexpensive trip down the Amazon tomorrow.

No comments: